A student working toward the Bachelor of Science degree may select a major from the following list:
A student working toward the Bachelor of Arts degree may select a major from the list below. Several of these majors are available as secondary school teaching areas.
A student working toward the Bachelor of Arts degree via accelerated degree completion may select a major from among:
Acceptance into a Major
A school or department will normally accept a student into a major when the student has:
- achieved a 2.00 or higher cgpa
- achieved a minimum of 12 hours of Malone coursework in the major with an institutional minimum 2.25 major gpa unless stated otherwise in the specific major guidelines within the school or department.
- met any additional departmental requirements as defined within each departmental major.
Acceptance may be automatic upon meeting these minimum requirements as defined by each school or department.
Most students will pursue one of the regular academic majors. However, a student may have special interest in pursuing in-depth study in a combination of disciplines drawing from different parts of the curriculum. Such a student has the option of designing an individualized major.
A proposal for an individualized undergraduate major will originate with a student working in conjunction with a primary and a secondary faculty adviser before being sent to the Registrar and the Undergraduate Academic Policies Committee (UAPC). After being vetted by the UAPC (a committee which includes the Registrar), the proposal would be sent to the Provost as long as there are no additional curricular changes.
Liberal Arts Major
A Liberal Arts major is a cross-disciplinary pattern of 45 hours with a minimum of 15 hours from each of three cognates related to the student’s objectives. At least 39 hours must be at the 300- 400 level with a minimum of 12 in each of the three approved fields, two of which must be in liberal arts disciplines, and cannot be in one of the professional (Bachelor of Science) majors. Any student interested in the Liberal Arts major should meet with the Registrar to determine courses in the three cognates. Careful and early planning is important in order to complete the major in a timely manner.
All Liberal Arts majors must apply and be admitted to the major prior to the beginning of the junior year (after completing 60 credits). Complete guidelines and requirements for the Liberal Arts major and are available in the Office of Advising and Testing.
A minor normally consists of a minimum of 15 semester hours, 6 of which must be taken at the 300/400 level. Each academic school or department must approve the student and curriculum to be used in the completion of each minor for the Office of the Registrar to verify at the point of graduation.
- A student must maintain a minimum of a 2.25 gpa within the approved minor curriculum in order to be awarded the minor at the time of graduation.
- Transfer students must take at least two courses in residence at Malone in an approved minor in order to be awarded the minor at the time of graduation.
- A minor will not be issued in an identical major field (i.e., a student may not have both a major and a minor in the same field).
- A minor will not be issued in a field identical to the supporting field of a given major unless 9 additional hours of coursework beyond those required as support for the major are taken (e.g., the Biology major requires 7-8 hours of supporting Chemistry coursework; to add a Chemistry minor, 9 other hours beyond those already required in the Biology major would be needed as well as meeting the above-mentioned minor requirements).